Brief Introduction to Pulborough
History of Pulborough
Part of the Church was built around 1180 and Church Registers date from 1595. Stopham Bridge was erected in 1309 during the reign of Henry II.
Neolithic and Bronze Age Man lived in this part of Sussex, but it was with the coming of the Romans that Pulborough acquired its first known significance.
The Romans came around 34AD and for nearly four centuries this area was the most extensive Roman Settlement north of the South Downs. The great Roman Road Stane Street, from Regnum to Londinium passed through Pulborough.
As you might expect Pulborough merited a place in the Domesday Book following the Norman Conquest.
Today, Pulborough, sitting in the lee of the South Downs, 52 miles from central London in the north and 14 miles from the south coast, has a population of approximately 5,000. It covers an area of 20 sq km (8 sq miles) and is one of the larger villages within the County of West Sussex, situated at the southernmost boundary of the area covered by Horsham District Council.
There is a main line rail link to London Victoria which takes approximately 75 minutes.
Gatwick Airport is accessible by car in 40 minutes or direct by rail from Pulborough Station in approximately 20 minutes. Luton Airport is similarly accessible by changing trains at East Croydon Station.
Whilst the rural nature of Pulborough attracts many to retire here, others choose to live here and commute to other areas to work. In the Village Appraisal of 2000, this amounted to three quarters of those in work.